Gout Diet often rules the gout sufferers life. It shouldn’t, but it does.
If you want food to rule your life, I will help you choose the foods to help your gout, and which gout foods to avoid.
If you do not want food to rule your life, I will expose a few gout food myths, and teach you food management techniques that allow you to eat whatever you want (in moderation,of course).
Everyone seems to think that gout is a disease caused by food. It is not!
Your diet may affect different parts of the gout pain pathway, but it is only part of the story.
Gout Diet Preparation
These gout diet pages are only of value for people who have a confirmed gout diagnosis, and a comprehensive treatment plan. You should study the Gout Symptoms pages, and the Gout Treatment pages before you study this Gout Diet Section. If you do not do this, you risk wasting your time making dietary changes that do not help you.
Before you can start to look at changing your diet, you must collect some important information about yourself, and you must know some important targets. The very first thing you must do before browsing through this section is to Prepare Your Gout Plan.
Gout Diet Topics
There is a lot of information about gout diet here, so I have divided it into subsections:
- How food affects gout
- Food as gout treatment
- Medical Food Issues
- Good Gout Food
- Bad Gout Food
- Other Gout Diet Pages
Please note that many pages are still being transferred from the old style (October 2009), and I include these in the “other” subsection until I reformat them.
How Food Affects Gout
What are sensible gout diet restrictions, and what are ludicrous limitations. The articles in this part of the Gout Diet section deal with how food affects gout.
- Sensible Gout Diet Restrictions
- An overview of the way food affects gout. How gout diet restrictions are only sensible in the right context.
- How Purines Affect Gout
- You need to know how purines affect gout before you start planning any gout diet changes. Most advice about purines is out-of-date, so check this guide before you waste any more time.
- Diet For Gout
- When you plan a diet for gout patients, the emphasis must be on the patient. The diet for gout pages help you start by recognizing the individual needs of each gout patient, then planning slow but steady improvements. You get individualized gout diet plans that work. Prior to these pages being available please see planning a diet for gout below.
Food As Gout Treatment
Given that food can play a part in a good gout treatment plan, this subsection looks at the way you need to incorporate diet and lifestyle changes in your recovery and maintenance plans.
- Gout Treatment Diet
- Gout Foods – The Best Approach
- If you want the best gout foods, you must change your gout diet to suit you. Don’t be a gout sheep – follow your own needs.
Gout treatment diet is an overview of the right approach to food as a gout treatment. Ignore individual foods. Apply the goals of your treatment plan to diet.
Medical Food Issues
Medical aspects of foods for gout sufferers.
- Diet For Gout Patients
- An overview of how some gout diet and lifestyle issues directly affect gout treatments.
- Alkalizing influences and approaches.
Good Gout Food
Some foods are more beneficial than others. This subsection highlights food and associated lifestyle changes that can help gout, including recipes.
- Gout Diet Foods To Eat
- An overview of foods that are beneficial to gout sufferers.
- Gout Food Recipes
- Enjoy your gout food with these recipes. Let GoutPal adapt your favorites for your best gout diet.
- Cherry Juice For Gout
- Cherry juice for gout seems the ideal gout treatment. Gout studies show cherries lower uric acid, ease inflammation, and reduce gout pain. Will it work for you? See the Cherry Juice For Gout guidelines. Also see Is there a Cherry Juice Gout Cure? and Gout, Cherries & Cherry Juice: Your Thoughts.
Bad Gout Food
With good planning, you can enjoy most food, but some foods need careful handling and there are hidden dangers in many common food items. This subsection deals with food that can be bad for gout.
- Foods To Avoid With Gout
- An overview of foods and dietary habits that should be restricted or avoided, with additional pages detailing key problems:
- Excess calories – Gout Foods To Avoid
- Excess iron
- Fasting & feasting
- Other suspects
- Purine Rich Foods
- Purine rich foods tables are often used by gout sufferers. But don’t waste time on pointless purines that have no effect on gout.
Other Gout Diet Articles
These are pages that relate to gout diet, but do not fit neatly into any of the above categories. Most are general nutrition guides and food composition tables. They are listed separately on the Diet For Gout Sufferers & Other Gouty Lifestyle Issues page. The other gout diet articles listed below include some old style pages that I am in the process of reviewing and reformatting. I will incorporate these into the new website structure during the next few weeks.
- Purine metabolism
- High Purine Foods Myths
- The foods that cause gout are not simply high purine foods
- Learn the foods that cause gout and you can manage your diet to avoid attacks. But don’t believe everything you are told – it’s not just about avoiding purines.
- Diet for Gout Patients Planning Is As Simple As You Like
- All you need to know about planning a diet for gout patients, from simple tips to diet planning tools and recipes.
- Delicious Recipes For Gout Help You Eat Yourself Better
- Do not think that only low purine recipes are good for gout. These recipes for gout explode the myths and bring you tasty meals and snacks for a winning gout diet (or even a weight losing one).
- What Is Uric Acid Food?
- Do you want to know more about uric acid food. Remember that it is important to manage your whole diet, but here are some gout foods that every gout sufferer asks about.
- Purines and Pyrimidines and Other Gout Diet Research
- Purines and pyrimidines are at the heart of gout diet studies, but there are many more interesting topics. See these investigations dispel all gout food myths.
Next Gout Diet Steps
As you can see, there are many gout diet issues, but I urge you not to become obsessed by food.
Especially avoid connecting specific foods to gout – it is your whole diet that matters, not just one or two food and drink items.
You need to assess your current diet, in the context of your height, weight, lifestyle, and health. Then develop a plan to gradually improve any weaknesses.
If you are not sure how to assess your diet, or how to improve your weaknesses, you can get more help in the gout forum. There are two main sections of the gout diet forum:
- Gout Diet Questions: Ask specific questions about food, drink, or lifestyle, such as What Are Purines?
- Gout Diet Debates: Wide ranging discussions about food, drink, or lifestyle, as described in the Gout & Purine Diet Debate Guidelines.