How do I stop Gout Pain explains the principles you must consider before you create your practical pain relief plan. Also, I include a practical example of gout pain relief in 2 hours.
Stop Gout Pain Audience
I wrote Stop Gout Pain before I split my advice between different types of gout sufferer. So this is relevant to all gout sufferers who want to stop gout pain. More importantly, it explains why you need to choose between stopping gout pain now, and how to stop gout flare-ups returning.
The section about stopping gout pain within two hours is specifically for Gout Patients.
How do I stop Gout Pain?
Stop Gout Pain Contents
First, you must decide between stopping gout pain now and stopping gout flare-ups returning. But for both of these options, it is very useful to know how to stop gout pain in 2 hours. Because if you are looking for a permanent solution to stop the source of gout pain, that takes many months. So you need to be confident you can control pain during those months. Unless you take daily preventative pain relief as part of uric acid treatment.
Stop Gout Pain Now
Gout pain during an acute gout flare is one of the worst pains imaginable. So, you need it to stop.
I suffered many years of misery before I understood how to stop gout pain. So I will save you the time, the fear, and the agony. Because I tell you exactly how to stop gout pain now. That means you do not need to take time off work. Also, you do not have to miss important social engagements. Most of all, you do not have to suffer.
Are you wondering how much this is going to cost you?
As far as I am concerned, my advice is free. But you will have to pay for the gout medicines I describe below.
Stop Gout Pain Naturally
Personally, I have not found any herbal preparation for pain relief that is strong enough to control a gout flare-up. But, having said that, everyone is different when it comes to gout. So, if you want to explore herbal or dietary products for gout pain relief, please read Natural Gout Remedy and Gout Home Remedies.
Though non-pharmaceutical alternatives can be effective for minor gout pain, I recommend you focus on lowering uric acid. That will remove the risk of gout flares returning, so you will not need pain treatment. If your gout pain is not too serious, use it as a reminder to get your uric acid safe. If your gout pain is serious, I recommend that you tackle some or all of the 3 aspects of gout pain with drugs. This should only be a short-term measure until you get uric acid under control.
Gout Pain Relief in 2 Hours
The important rules about stopping gout pain are:
- You need pain relief combinations. A single drug is not sufficient to treat the 3 aspects of gout pain.
- You need gout strength dose. Because over-the-counter dose is often insufficient for full-blown gout flares. So, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the correct dose for gout pain.
The 3 aspects of gout pain that you need to tackle are:
- Stop inflammation spreading. For this, you need Colcrys (colchicine), but avoid it if you have any form of infection or a weakened immune system. You need 1 or 2 tablets at the first sign of a gout attack. If your pain is still intense after 2 hours, take another. Never take more than 3 colchicine pills per day.
- Reduce inflammation. There are many anti-inflammatory drugs. If you are taking colchicine, but have not taken it early enough, you can take all common anti-inflammatories at the same time as your first colchicine tablet. Then at the intervals advised by your pharmacist. Your pharmacist or doctor can advise you of your choices for anti-inflammatories that are compatible with other drugs.
- Block pain. Anti-inflammatory drugs can take time to reduce swelling and relieve your pain. Your third line of attack is a general analgesic. Again, get professional advice on a suitable choice of pain-killer that is compatible with other drugs. It is usual practice to alternate analgesics and anti-inflammatory drugs every two hours, or whatever half the dosing period is of your particular combination.
Please note, I recommend colchicine as the first step. Because it is particularly effective as a gout pain preventative, and safe if taken carefully. If you have doubts, you can omit it and rely on the anti-inflammatories from step 2. Colchicine has a poor prescribing history, with many reports of inappropriate dosing. This led to restrictions for dosing of a maximum of 3 tablets per day. Unfortunately, it also led to a licensing arrangement that makes colchicine extremely expensive when sold as Colcrys. However, the exclusive time period has ended, so cheaper forms of colchicine are available. For example, Mitigare is much cheaper. But just as effective as Colcrys.
More about Stopping Gout Pain
Note that long-term use of any form of pain relief carries increased risks of serious side effects. After your second gout attack, you must seek treatment to stop gout pain returning.
How To Stop Gout Permanently
To stop gout pain returning, you must maintain uric acid levels no higher than 5 mg/dL. Do not accept any figure higher than that. Many doctors will accept a higher figure, but it is not their joints that are being destroyed.
How to Stop Gout Flare-up 2016 Update
I am creating step-by-step plans for your gout treatment. These are general templates that you can customize with your health adviser or in my gout forums. Please see Personal Gout Treatment Guidelines 2016.
Leave Stop Gout Pain to browse the
Gout Treatment guidelines.
TL;DR - How do I stop Gout Pain?How do I stop Gout Pain?
- Decide if you want to stop gout pain now, prevent more gout attacks, or both.
- Decide on your mix of pharmaceutical or natural gout medicine.
- Get personal gout treatment from your healthcare advisers.
If you need help with any of those, ask in GoutPal's Gout Forum.
Related Gout Facts: 2 Gout Cures
What do you think about this page?
Did this page help you? If yes, please consider a small donation. Your donations help keep GoutPal's gout support services free for everyone. Please click to donate:
If not, please tell me how I can improve it to help you more.
Please note that my Feedback Form does not yet work on the current version of this website. So please send your feedback using my Helpdesk.