Purine rich foods are often said to be the bane of every gout sufferers life.
We are often advised to avoid them completely, or reduce our purine intake.
But do our advisers really understand what they are talking about?
Gout is the only disease for which purines are important, and hundreds of different purine tables have been published. But, none of them make sense in relation to gout.
We know how purines affect gout, so publishing tables of every food that contains even the slightest trace of purines is pointless. If not pointless for reasons of completeness, it is certainly pointless for planning a gout diet. In fact, for gout diet planning, it is vital to only focus on those purines that are going to make a difference.
Scientists have known for decades that there are different kinds of purines, and that each has a different action when taken as part of your diet. This involves complicated processes that can vary from person to person, so even the best analysis of relevant purine rich foods can only produce an estimate that should be confirmed with uric acid blood tests.
Purine Rich Foods
Zollner’s analysis of purine metabolism suggests that xanthine and hypoxanthine are the most effective purines for increasing uric acid. I refer to these as “Gout Purines” and I have restricted the purine rich foods table to those compounds.
Recent research from Japan describes the purine content of more foods. I will use that information to extend and improve the Purine Rich Food Table below. I have started to list these foods at Is Very Low Purine Gout Diet Possible. My review of purine food charts is coming soon. Please subscribe to my update service below to get email notification when I upgrade my purine food charts.
Purine Rich Foods Table
|Food 100g||Kcal|| Iron
| Gout Purines
|MATJE CURED HERRING||267||1.30||133||133||16||14|
|REDFISH (OCEAN PERCH)||105||0.69||149||149||18||9|
|CALF (NECK SWEET BREAD)||99||2.00||51||91||142||17||0|
|LIVER SAUSAGE (LIVERWURST)||326||5.30||12||61||73||16||10|
|OX LUNGS (LIGHTS)||99||8.80||9||35||44||18||13|
|PIG´S LUNGS (LIGHTS)||114||5.00||4||79||83||14||10|
|ALCOHOL FREE BEER||25||0.02||0||1||1||0||0|
|EDIBLE BOLETUS (FLAT MUSHROOM, CEPE)||20||1.00||7||7||5||-2|
|EDIBLE BOLETUS DRIED (FLAT MUSHROOM, CEPE)||124||8.40||50||50||30||-4|
|PILSENER LAGER BEER||42||0.01||2||2||3||1||0|
|REAL BEER (LIGHT)||39||0.04||2||2||4||1||0|
- I took the data in this table from Food Composition and Nutrition Tables by Souci, Fachmann, Kraut.
- Values are for 100g. Divide by 100 and multiply by your portion size for your diet analysis.
- Figures are averages of several tests – natural products will vary, and cooking methods can affect final results.
- Though this is a list of purine rich foods, many foods are not high enough to worry about. You can ignore any foods that contribute less than 50 mg Uric Acid per meal. If you are not sure, please describe the ingredients of your meal in the gout forum, then I can tell you if you should ignore the purine content, or try to reduce it. If you cannot access the gout forum, please use the form at the end of this page.
- Never forget that animal purines also exist in the flesh of your body. Excess flesh means more uric acid
- There are other dietary problems that are worse than purines for many gout sufferers. I’ve written more about this in other pages within these gout diet guidelines
If you are serious about measuring the impact of purine rich foods in your gout diet, you must verify expected values from the tables with actual effects from your own uric acid tests.
Leave Purine Rich Foods to browse the Gout Diet Guidelines.
Purine Rich Foods Related Topics
Please remember: to find more related pages that are relevant to you, use the search box near the top of every page.
Other posts that include these terms:
- High Alkaline Foods for Gout Diet Menu
- Gout Foods Table for Vegetables
- Gout Food List for GoutPal Foodies
- Foods High in Uric Acid Chart
- Does Alcohol Affect Gout?
- Colchicine For Gout
- What Foods Cause Gout?
- Is Chinese Food Bad For Gout?
- Is Very Low Purine Gout Diet Possible?
- Edamame and Gout: Vegetable Medley
Purine Rich Foods References
- Souci, Siegfried Walter, Walter Fachmann, and Heinrich Kraut. Food composition and nutrition tables. No. Ed. 6. Medpharm GmbH Scientific Publishers, 2000.