Combinations of allopurinol and other substances worry gout sufferers. There are many different concerns, but they all fall into 3 broad categories:
- Allopurinol And Other Gout Treatment
- At different stages of uric acid lowering treatment, other drugs may be necessary to support allopurinol. In some cases, like allopurinol and Uloric, it is a matter of choice rather than a combination.
- Allopurinol And Other Medicines
- Many gout patients need medicines for other health conditions, and every sufferer will occasionally get other ailments besides gout. As with all medicine, you must be careful to check labels and doctors advice before combining any treatments.
- Allopurinol And Diet
- Allopurinol is designed to enable you to forget about special gout diet. However, there are constant questions about allopurinol and some food items. Here we look at the effects of food and drink in combination with allopurinol
We are discussing various aspects of allopurinol in combination with other substances in the gout forum. If you have any related experiences, opinions and questions, please share them. The discussions are spread across the following groups:
Allopurinol And Other Gout Treatment
- Allopurinol And Colchicine
- Allopurinol And Probenecid
- Allopurinol And Indomethacin
- Allopurinol And Ibuprofen
- Allopurinol And Diclofenac
- Allopurinol And Uloric
Allopurinol And Other Medicines
- Allopurinol And Azathioprine
- Azathioprine is used to prevent the rejection of new organs following a transplant operation.
- Allopurinol And Aspirin
- Allopurinol And Coumadin
- Coumadin (warfarin) is used to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and blood clots in veins and arteries. But a gout forum contributor reported severe gout attacks after starting warfarin treatment for Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT). Unfortunately, the science is inconclusive with 2 conflicting reports:In my response, I refer to 2 studies:
- 1st report says Coumadin raise uric acid levels.
- Menon, Ram K., D. P. Mikhailidis, Joyce L. Bell, P. B. Kernoff, and P. Dandona. “Warfarin administration increases uric acid concentrations in plasma.” Clinical chemistry 32, no. 8 (1986): 1557-1559.
- 2nd report says Coumadin has no effect on uric acid levels.
- Walker, F. B., D. M. Becker, B. Kowal-Neeley, and L. S. Krongaard. “Lack of effect of warfarin on uric acid concentration.” Clinical chemistry 34, no. 5 (1988): 952-954.
So I will continue to monitor gout studies about warfarin. Then I will summarize the science when we have a consensus.
- Allopurinol And Ramipril
- Ramipril is used alone or in combination with other medications to treat high blood pressure. It is also used to reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Allopurinol And Amoxicillin
- Amoxicillin is an antibiotic used for bacterial infections, including some dental, ear, respiratory, and urine infections.
There are also concerns about allopurinol and kidney disease, and I deal with these in articles about other diseases. These change from month to month, so if you are concerned about the affects of allopurinol on another health condition, best to search for it using the search boxes near the top and bottom of every page.
Allopurinol And Diet
- Allopurinol And Alcohol
Please also see the allopurinol side effects pages for information about combinations of allopurinol and other issues.
If you wish to discuss allopurinol and other issues, please use the search box to find something relevant. You can start a new discussion on your specific issue in the gout remedies forum. As current discussions mature, I will summarize the key points in these guidelines.
Leave Allopurinol And Others to browse the rest of the Allopurinol guidelines.
What do you think about this page?
Did this page help you? If yes, please consider a small donation. Your donations help keep GoutPal's gout support services free for everyone. Please click to donate:
If not, please tell me how I can improve it to help you more.
Please note that my Feedback Form does not yet work on the current version of this website. So please send your feedback: