Forum Replies Created

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Allopurinol #22475
    Avan Judd Stallard

    I wanted to tack on an allopurinol question. I’m just getting past my first 3 week episode of gout. My uric acid level is high, 481 / 8.1. My GP, based on the Brit rheumatology guidelines, has told me I need to wait for a second flare up before she will start me on allopurinol. My feeling is that waiting for a second flare up is like waiting for a second heart attack before taking action. If you know you have a condition and know that you probably cannot completely eliminate the condition with just diet, treat it straight away before more damage is done. But am I just paranoid? Is it really sensible to wait–I mean, it could be another year till a second flare up, and what sort of unseen damage is accumulating in that time?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)