Treat Uric Acid With Acupuncture is my review of benefits of acupuncture for uric acid control. In detail, it supports Gout And Acupuncture, which you should read first.
Treat Uric Acid With Acupuncture Audience
I wrote Treat Uric Acid With Acupuncture for GoutPal Seekers. Because it will help them at Step 3 of their gout management plan. At this time, GoutPal Seekers are still deciding between drugs, herbs, or diet to reduce uric acid. So, acupuncture gives you another treatment choice. To check your Gout Sufferer Type, see Questions for Gout Sufferers.
Uric Acid and Acupuncture
This is my layman’s review of a 2013 assessment of Uric Acid and Acupuncture in 8 gout studies[*]. Although the report compares Randomized Control Trials (RCTs), I focus on the acupuncture element. Because I believe that any plan to treat uric acid must optimize the treatment for the specific individual. Therefore, my review gives pointers for you to discuss your personal treatment with your acupuncturist. Also, note that practical acupuncture treatment is likely to include related procedures. Such as moxibustion, cupping, etc.
Acupuncture Points for Gout
The report and associated references include details of acupuncture points for gout. So, I have included these though I do not understand them. But, I believe they might be useful for discussing how your acupuncturist will treat your uric acid.
In the table, I have converted Uric Acid(UA) values to mg/dL, from the original μmol/L, using my uric acid calculator. The ‘Start UA’ column is blank for some studies, where English language data is not available.
|Ref||Acupuncture Treatment and Points||Start UA||UA De-crease|
|||Local blocking and electroacupuncture at Yinbai (SP 1), Taichong (LR 3), Sanyinjiao (SP 6), Zusanli (ST 36), Fenglong (ST 40), Yinlingquan (SP 9) and Ashi points.||9.06||-2.73|
|||Shenshu (BL 23), Sanjiaoshu (BL 22), Zhongji (CV 3), Guanyuan (CV 4), Xuehai (SP 10), Sanyinjiao (SP 6) and Taixi (KI 3) were taken as the main points, and additional points for comorbidities.||7.43||-2.51|
|||Electroacupuncture at Sanyinjiao (SP 6), Fenglong (ST 40), Yinlingquan (SP 9), once a day.||-1.49|
|||Shallow needling on local affected area as main and 4-5 distant acupoints as adjuvant, once each day.||8.69||-3.75|
|||Electroacupuncture at Zusanli (ST 36), Fenglong (ST 40) and Ashi points.||-3.18|
|||Acupuncture was applied to Zusanli (ST 36), Sanyinjiao (SP 6), Quchi (LI 11), Xuehai (SP 10), Yanglingquan (GB 34) and Ashi points. Additionally, infrared irradiation was used in the local area. The treatment was given once daily.||-1.48|
|||2 Hz electroacupuncture (also compared 100 Hz which was less effective).||-2.16|
|||Electroacupuncture combined with point-injection.||-2.00|
Uric Acid and Acupuncture Summary
In conclusion, we see that the 2013 report found 8 studies that prove acupuncture can lower uric acid. Also, this has been repeated in more recent studies. However, the authors warn that findings are low quality. So, more high-quality investigations need to be done.
Your Uric Acid and Acupuncture
Now you can see that acupuncture could help you lower your uric acid. But, you have to find the right practitioner. Then, you can share your experiences in the gout forum. However, you should know that I have no personal experience of acupuncture. So, I can help you with planning, and help you ask the right questions. But, you will need to find your own acupuncturist.
Leave Treat Uric Acid With Acupuncture to browse more GoutPal Seekers Plan Step 3 Resources.
Uric Acid and Acupuncture References
* This is a review of:
- Lee WB, Woo SH, Min BI, Cho SH.
- Acupuncture for gouty arthritis: a concise report of a systematic and meta-analysis approach.
- Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013 Jul;52(7):1225-32.
The following list of references are from the original report. However, I have omitted references that I have not referred to in my review, above. For the full report, you can search the Internet for the report title. Or, GoutPal Members can download a PDF copy of the report for personal private use.
- 8. Liu B, Wang HM, Wang FY. [Observation on therapeutic effect of electroacupuncture combined with local blocking therapy on acute gouty arthritis], Zhongguo Zhen Jiu , 2008, vol. 28 (pg. 659-61) .
- 9. Ma X. Clinical analysis for the acupuncture treatment in 42 cases of gouty renal damage. J Tradit Chin Med. 2004 Sep;24(3):185-7.
- 10. Xie JY, Wang L, Li QX, Li XM. [Study on mechanisms of electroacupuncture treatment of acute gouty arthritis]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2007 Dec;27(12):898-900.
- 11. Xie XQ, Cao YX, Li F, Meng Y, Deng L. [Observation on therapeutic effect of surrounded needling therapy on acute gouty arthritis]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2009 May;29(5):375-7.
- 12. Yin Y, Zhang HX, Zhang TF. [Clinical observation on electroacupuncture combined with medicine for treatment of acute gouty arthritis]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2005 Oct;25(10):683-5.
- 14. Zhou L, Xu QF, Zhang WS. [Comparative observation of the efficacy on acute gouty arthritis between acupuncture combined with infrared irradiation and western medicine]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2011 Sep;31(9):787-9.
- 15. Zou R, Zhang HX, Zhang TF, Xu Y. Treatment to acute gouty arthritis with electro-acupuncture at different frequencies versus medication. Chin J Clin Rehabil , 2006, vol. 10 (pg. 188-9).
- 16. Zou R, Zhang HX, Zhang TF, Xu Y. [Observation on therapeutic effect of electroacupuncture combined with acupoint-injection on acute gouty arthritis]. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2007 Jan;27(1):15-7.
What do you think about this page?
Did this page help you? If yes, please consider a small donation. Your donations help keep GoutPal's gout support services free for everyone. Please click to donate:
If not, please tell me how I can improve it to help you more.
Please note that my Feedback Form does not yet work on the current version of this website. So please send your feedback using my Helpdesk.