Rheumatology is defined as:
The branch of medicine dealing with the study and treatment of all medical aspects of the muscles or tendons or joints, including characteristics and qualities (symptoms), causes, processes, development, and consequences.
We rely on rheumatologists in practice whenever there are complications in diagnosis or treatment that require more specialist knowledge than a typical family doctor is expected to have.
We also rely on rheumatologists, and their associates, to investigate gout.
Gout investigations include general improvement in the understanding of how gout develops. Some rheumatology research is focused on treatments or the effects of food. I describe that research in the gout treatment section, and gout diet section. In this symptoms/diagnosis section, I describe rheumatology studies that investigate the nature of gout, why it occurs, and how we detect it.
- Gout Crystals & Tendons
- Monosodium Urate Crystals Inhibit Tenocyte Viability and Function: Implications for Periarticular Involvement in Chronic Gout. ACR Annual Meeting Nov 2012. Ashika Chhana, Karen E. Callon, Bregina Pool, Dorit Naot, Gregory Gamble, Brendan Coleman2 Fiona M. McQueen1, Jillian Cornish and Nicola Dalbeth
- Gout & Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Co-Existence of Gout in Rheumatoid Arthritis: It Does Happen! A Population Based Study. ACR Annual Meeting Nov 2012. Adlene Jebakumar, Cynthia S. Crowson, P. Deepak Udayakumar and Eric L. Matteson, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN.
- Uric Acid And Heart Attack Deaths
- Higher serum uric acid on admission is associated with higher short-term mortality and poorer long-term survival after myocardial infarction: retrospective prognostic study. Dec 2009 Car S, Trkulja V. An investigation of a potential link between uric acid with short-term deaths and long-term survival from heart attacks.
- Incidence Of Gout
- Incidence and risk factors for gout in white men. Dec 1991, Roubenoff R, Klag MJ, Mead LA, Liang KY, Seidler AJ, Hochberg MC.
I am in the early stages of compiling this list. If you know of any research in the field of rheumatology that affects the symptoms, causes, or diagnosis of gout, please share it in the gout forum.